Sunday, July 12, 2009

Poor Alex

It was a REALLY crazy week for ALL of us. Long story short - Our youngest cat, Alex, is pretty ill. He weighs less than 8 pounds. So after three day stays at the vet for treatment, he is home with us. I need to go get trained on how to put in an I.V. for fluids and electrolytes on Monday. They sent Alex home for overnight Friday with his port still in place. The tech asked if I thought he needed a collar. I asked how he was for them at the hospital - he was great, didn't bother it at all - so no collar. Well, I think the I.V.'s had finally started to perk him up around MIDNIGHT! I woke up to a thumping sound on the bed and it was Alex tugging at the gauzy wrap around his leg. Great, what were we going to do? If he pulled that off, what would stop him from pulling the line out? I couldn't rest w/o having visions of finding him bleeding to death that night. So 'think, think, think.' Chinet plates and duct tape to the rescue! The vet thought that was pretty clever:)



Although sad and stressful, I think it has been a very good/bonding experience for all of us. The kids are very compassionate to his situation and ask a lot of really great questions. Daniel asks, "What is that?" Abby asks more questions like, "Will the pokie really hurt Alex a lot?" The vet tech was WONDERFUL and had/made time to take the kids back to the treatment area where Alex was going to stay and she answered all of our questions.

No comments: